Here we go – I jotted this down the other night and thought I would start the fire…
Here are my favorite movies… the ones I enjoy the most. I think they are all great movies, too…
1. Great movies have a great theme and message
2. They are well acted – you rarely if ever lose the illusion
3. The are well-directed – excellent with few actual errors
4. They end brilliantly – you should feel a little breathless when it is over… and even better…want to watch it again immediately.
5. There is nothing outstandingly annoying or distracting from the movie.
6. At their best, they are truly literature – and your life is different because you spent time in them.
7. They are entertaining. What am I leaving out?
I put this together pretty fast and I think I am leaving some out – what are they?
1. Searching for Bobby Fischer
2. Dead Poet’s Society
3. The Matrix
4. Pride and Prejudice (new version)
5. Star Wars Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back
6. The Princess Bride
7. The Count of Monte Cristo (new version)
8. The Truman Show
9. Raiders of the Lost Ark
11. The Last of the Mohicans
17. Open Range
18. Mary Poppins
19. The Two Towers
20. Star Wars Episode 4
Some quick stabs at some Genres
Best Westerns of All time, not necessarily in this order:
2. Open Range
3. Magnificent Seven
4. Quigley Down Under
6. The Pale Rider
7. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
8. Dances with Wolves
I am scared to touch comedies… and I cant put them in order, but here are some favorites:
1. Groundhog Day – even though I can barely tolerate McDowell
2. Uncle Buck
4. Undercover Blues
5. Liar Liar
6. The Pink Panther movies
7. Good Morning Vietnam
7. Man, I can’t even think – I will come back to them